How is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 18 16:29:07 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 17:11:43 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Be careful what you ask for Anne :-) Here are some (using 4.0.98 at the
> moment):
>
> 1) How do I resize the Desktop plasmoid? It has no handles.

AIUI, that is a 4.1 feature.  I'm pretty certain I've read that that's fixed
in 4.1.

> 2) How do I rearrange stuff in the Panel? There used to be a gawd-awful
> "start move/end move" thing on the panel menu in 4.0 but at least it
> worked. Now it's gone.

I'm not using Fedora at this moment, so I can't check, but it was there last
week.  However, I understand that that was a Fedora work-around.  I *think*
it's fixed in 4.1.  Meanwhile, the recommended method in 4.0 is to delete
icons from the panel and add them again in the order you want them.

> 3) Why is the Kmix icon in minimized state (i.e. in the panel) different
> from its normal icon? This last could be my config as I just carried it
> over from 3.5, but I don't see any way to change it.

Actually, kmix is reluctant to show at all on mine :-)  Seriously, though,
I've wondered about that myself.  The tiny icons that sit in two rows seem to
be the things that load at startup, like klipper, wifi-status-indicator,
korgac, and so on.  Do you find the same?

I'll try to find the answer to that one.

> 4) Why does my desktop always start up as 1024x768 when I have a
> landscape LCD?

?? 1024x768 is landscape, isn't it?

> I've set it correctly using the Display dialogue, but it
> doesn't remember its state. However as soon as I click on the Display
> setting it *immediately* corrects itself to 1440x900 without me touching
> anything else (except that I now have to resize some windows, not to
> mention the panel which doesn't adjust itself). I reported a version of
> this to BZ a while back but I need to update it.

I don't think this is KDE-related at all.  I think it's more concerned with
the new way that X is being served - you know, not reading xorg.conf if it
can get away without it.  Just my guess, though.

> I'm sure I can think of more but these are the most annoying. Luckily
> nothing is a showstopper.

Yes, there are many small annoyances in 4.0, and there will still be some,
though nowhere like as many, in 4.1, but, as you say, they are not
show-stoppers.

I was tempted to revert to the old ways, like using the Classic Menu, but
stuck it out so that I could give support.  I'm glad I did, as I find I have
adapted my working practices almost without noticing, and I really like some
of the changes.

In passing, it may interest you to know that some of the developments were
held up because they depend on Qt4, and Qt4 is still very much in
development.  As the boundaries are being pushed new needs are being
discovered, and fixed as fast as devs can work.

Anne