32 bit Java app on 64 bit Linux

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Mon Jul 21 19:07:58 UTC 2008

Steve Dowe wrote:
> Andrew Overholt wrote:
>> Are you running the 32-bit JRE?  Check the output of the following:
>>
>> $ which java
>> $ readlink -f `which java`
>> # alternatives --config java
>
> The JRE actually installs as part of the Zend Studio product and I
> have had it running on 32-bit fedora before  - so I assume 32-bit.
> However, here's the output:
>
> $ cd /usr/local/Zend/ZendStudio-5.5.1/jre/bin
> $ ./java -showversion
> java version "1.5.0_06"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode)
>
> Obviously, given this I guess there's not a lot of point me doing the
> other commands, simply because Zend uses it's own JRE, not Fedora's.
>
> Steve

    Are you sure that it's using it's own java?  Just because it
installed it doesn't necessarily mean it's using it (one would think so
but...).  It would be interesting to see what Zend is actually using
(you may be able to do this in the startup script with a "set -x" or you
may need to look at it with strace).

Kevin