FC8: Using Sqlite3 in OpenOffice, with or without ODBC

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Jul 22 14:12:24 UTC 2008

M. Fioretti wrote, On 07/22/2008 01:35 AM:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 16:41:28 PM -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
>> M. Fioretti wrote, On 07/21/2008 03:06 PM:
>
>>> I'm having problem to find applicable documentation which explains
>>> how to connect to, and manage, an Sqlite 3 database with OpenOffice
>>> 2.3 on Fedora 8...  there are several resources online, but they
>>> really look all outdated or not valid for some other reason with
>>> OOo 2.x / FC. This page, for example:
>>>
>>> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Openoffice.org_with_SQL_Databases#SQLite_files_.28OpenOffice.org_2.x.29
>>>

>>> says that I should add the driver libsqlite3odbc.so to
>>> /etc/odbcinst.ini, but I haven't found any rpm which provides this
>>> file.
>>>
>> rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/odbcinst.ini
>> unixODBC-<version>
>>
>> so I suspect you'll want to
>> yum install unixODBC
>>

> sorry for the confusion, but unixODBC was already installed. It is the
> sqlite ODBC driver (the one which should contain libsqlite3odbc.so)
> that seems to have no rpm whatever for fedora.
>
>> you may need to install something like sqlite3-odbc (name mangled
>> from the fact that for postgresql I needed postgresql-odbc on the
>> machine)...  looking in the Everything tree for 8, looks more like
>> you might one or more of:
>>
>> mysql-connector-odbc
>> php-odbc
>> unixODBC
>>

> I had already gone through all this reasoning, guesswork and search by
> myself before my first posting. The first package isn't relevant (it's
> mysql, not sqlite), the second isn't necessary (php can talk to sqlite
> through other packages, see the other thread I started yesterday) and
> it wouldn't be enough anyway for the same reason why the last package
> (which has always been installed) isn't: the missing piece (=rpm) is
> "unixodbc <->sqlite" not "Ooo, php, mysql, whatever <-> unixODBC"
>
> so the problem may be restated as: is it true that there is no rpm
> package for adding sqlite3 support to unixODBC in Fedora 8 (or later)?
> Or at least for adding sqlite3 support to OpenOffice only, without
> going through ODBC?
>
> THanks,
> 					Marco

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sqlite3+odbc&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

yum -C info *odbc* |grep -i lite
shows no output, so you'll have to build from source.

Assuming you A) trust the web and B) trust Christian Werner (and me for that
matter :)

[you may need to install a devel package or two, like for unixODBC, to make
this work]

get: http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/sqliteodbc-0.77-1.src.rpm

if ! [ -e  ~/.rpmmacros ] ; then
cd ; echo "%_topdir `pwd`/builds/rpmbuild" >  ~/.rpmmacros
fi
MYTOPDIR=`grep _topdir ~/.rpmmacros |awk '{print $2}'`
rpmdev-setuptree
rpm -ivh sqliteodbc-0.77-1.src.rpm
cd $MYTOPDIR/SPECS
rpmbuild -bb *.spec # I hope you only have the
#spec for sqliteodbc here.
#
#
# as root, install the resulting rpm's or install the
#complained about devel packages and redo the rpmbuild step.

BTW you'll probably want to look at their documentation sometime:
http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/html/index.html

Of course I did not Google for sqlite3 and OpenOffice.org, so there may be
other ways. :)

--
Todd Denniston