F9: Problem with Services tool

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Fri Jul 11 19:38:37 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 20:38, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > Isn't there anyone that can help me solve this one?  I am really
> > > pulling out my hair over this supposedly *simple* program
> > > and I cannot for the life of me figure out why this sucker hangs!
> > >
> > > Please tell me what I can do to debug this sucker to understand
> > > WHY it hangs.  I have an strace but who wants it?  What does
> > > system-config-services require for proper functioning?
> > >
> > > Yes, I have pored over the man pages and it mentions hanging
> > > but *very* limited data.  FYI: it worked until I did *something*
> > > (like install many packages) and somehow it broke it.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Dan
> >
> > Hi Dan. I don't know why the services tool stopped working for you,
> > but /sbin/chkconfig is the CLI tool to stop and start services, and
> > looking
> > in synaptic on my FC2 install under system-config-services, chkconfig
> > is a
> > dep for it, so it looks like system-config-services is just a graphical
> > frontend to chkconfig.
> >
> > What do you get if you su to root on the CLI, and run chkconfig? It
> > should
> > give you the following options.
> >
> > [root at localhost djmons]# /sbin/chkconfig
> > chkconfig version 1.3.9 - Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Red Hat, Inc.
> > This may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU Public
> > License.
> >
> > usage:   chkconfig --list [name]
> >          chkconfig --add <name>
> >          chkconfig --del <name>
> >          chkconfig [--level <levels>] <name> <on|off|reset>)
> > [root at localhost djmons]#
> >
> > /sbin/chkconfig --list shows the current state of all services
> >
> > It may be worth a look, as chkconfig appears to be the backend to the
> > system-config-services GUI.
> >
> > 2¢ worth of perhaps nothing.
> >
> > Nigel.
> >
> > --
>
> Funnyingly, chkconfig was the only tool that saved me in
> en/disabling services that I did not want and yes, it works.
>
> I wonder, however, if chkconfig is improperly set for
> s-c-s to be able to hook to it.  Hm.
>
> # chkconfig -v
> chkconfig version 1.3.37

Obviously my chkconfig version is ancient, as it's on FC2, see below.
[root at localhost djmons]# /sbin/chkconfig -v
chkconfig version 1.3.9
[root at localhost djmons]#

Not sure how to determine the permissions, as you show below, but my reply was
simply to get some verification that chkconfig was working as expected.

> Permissions:
> -rwxr-xr-x  root root system_u:object_r:bin_t:s0       /sbin/chkconfig
>
> Other than the version difference, it looks ok to me, how about you?

Sorry for not being able to suggest a solution to your problem.

It doesn't help, that I havn't yet installed F 9. It does take some time on
dialup to DL the iso's, so at the moment have no chance of reproducing your
problem.

Nigel.