I need help with Fedora

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 21 03:53:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 01:46 +0530, aakash sharma wrote:
> All i need to do is a project on Linux. That's why I want to install
> Fedora. My project doesn't require latest features of FEDORA 9.

What sort of project?  That may well determine what you'll need, or what
you can get away with.  If it's text-only, then you can forgo the
resource hungry Gnome and KDE, and your PC would be fine to run it.  If
you do something needing Gnome or KDE, you're in for a slow time with
such a low spec machine.

Others have said you can use other less weighty window managers (XFCE,
etc.), or lighter distributions (Puppy Linux, etc.).  That can help with
doing graphical stuff on a slower PC, but if you want to run some
applications that make use of KDE or Gnome, you're back in the same boat
as actually running KDE or Gnome, in the first place (a slow system).

> So, can u tell me which version of Fedora will work somewhat smooth
> like XP on my system.

We don't know what XP is like on *your* system, but I would have thought
it to be a bit painful with as little RAM as you've mentioned.  I've
used Fedora on similarly low RAM machines, but Fedora 6 was the most
recent I've ran on them (it's out of date, and not recommended).  I
haven't run 8, so I can't say how that'd go.  I have run 9, and I think
that would be painful for you.

You really do need more RAM.  If you can't afford it, I'd suggest
scrounging for used computer parts, you might find some RAM still in a
wrecked computer, or you could trade other bits between other users
(sound cards, video cards, etc.).  That, or offer to repair people's
broken Windows boxes for money, there's no shortage of stuffed up
Windows PCs...

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686