Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

Marc Ferguson mferguson at digitalalias.net
Thu May 29 18:56:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 10:20 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> > Excellent, thanks for that info.  Here is the result of lspci:
> >
> > 02:02.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan
> > chipset
> > (rev 01)
> >     Subsystem: Actiontec Electronics Inc Unknown device 2406
> >     Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> >     Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
> >     Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
> >     Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci
> >     Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci
> >
> > What can I learn from this info?  Based on all the threads I'm
> > guessing my
> > wireless card isn't completely compatible with Fedora 9.  The funny
> > thing is
> > everything works except for making the actual connection to a wireless
> > network though.
>
> You have a Wavelan chipset, which should work using the Orinoco driver
> (already detected and loaded by the kernel).
>
> Now try 'iwlist scan' (again, as root). If the card works physically you
> should see a list of nearby access points. That means there is a strong
> chance of being able to get it to work, you just have to configure it
> correctly :-)
>
> Also, make sure the radio is physically turned on! On some laptops (e.g.
> Toshibas) there's a small switch to turn it on and off.
>
> poc
>
> --

Hi,

I did the "iwlist scan" and I noticed it did scans for: lo, eth1, wifi0,
eth0, irda0, and pan0.  My wireless device, according to Network
Configuration is eth0.  I find that weird; in prior distros wireless devices
where labeled wlan0, wlan1, etc.

The scan did pick up something for wifi0 and eth0.  Does that mean that they
are conflicting in some way?  Overall; it looks like NetworkManager isn't
playing nice with my wireless card and I'll have to do manual scans and
configuring in order to get it to work?
--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4