Fedora 10 install: Choosing additional repositories causes kernel panic

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff+list at imap.cc
Thu Nov 27 05:34:14 UTC 2008

On two different systems, on an i686 laptop and in VirtualBox running on
an AMD64 OpenSolaris system, I was able to perform installation
successfully, only to be greeted with this message when I tried to boot
my newly installed Fedora system:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
block(0,0)

At first I thought that this was because I was using xfs for my root
partition (actually logical volume), but the problem turned out to be
caused by my choosing "Fedora" and "Fedora updates" as repositories in
addition to the "installation repository".

Has someone used the additional repositories feature and not experienced
this problem? This feature is described here:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/ch-packageselection.html#sn-additional-repos