Beeping while running

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Tue Oct 14 19:46:49 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
>> I don't know if this is a silly suggestion, because I don't know your
>> physical setup.
>>
>> Any chance that the beeping is actually from an adjacent UPS instead?
>
> No, I've identified that the beeping is coming from my computer
> speakers plugged into the back of my computer and not from the
> motherboard/case speaker and not from the UPS.
>
>> Some provide similar indications when tested and there is an issue
>> such as weak batteries, and your software for the UPS could be
>> initiating hourly tests.
>
> "service apcupsd status" indicates:  "Selftest: NO"

What runlevel are you on with that box? 3 or 5? I don't remember if you
mentioned it in a prior post or not. If it is coming from the soundcard,
I would more suspect a program wanting attention more than an actual
problem. If it is running a GUI (runlevel 5 on Fedora) then I would more
suspect an application running, and wanting some sort of attention.

~Seann