Beeping while running

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Oct 14 20:16:01 UTC 2008

Seann Clark wrote:
> What runlevel are you on with that box? 3 or 5? I don't remember if you
> mentioned it in a prior post or not. If it is coming from the soundcard,
> I would more suspect a program wanting attention more than an actual
> problem. If it is running a GUI (runlevel 5 on Fedora) then I would more
> suspect an application running, and wanting some sort of attention.

Its running at runlevel 5.  X11 is running just fine, but nothing in any
of my virtual desktops is asking for attention.  I seem to remember that
my BIOS has an option to route the PC Speaker output through the onboard
integrated soundcard, and I set it.  So what I'm probably hearing was
originally routed to the PC speaker.  I'm willing to believe that it is
is originating with the motherboard, but I'm unsure where to look.  I
have the owner's manual for this motherboard, but I can't find anything
except the following excert:

Under the chapter "PC Health Status" there is a CPU Warning Temperature
where I can select a temperature (from 50c to 120c) at which I want the
system to send out a warning message to the PC speakers of when the
temperature goes beyond either limit.  I guess the next time I reboot,
I'll go and look at what its currently set to.

I like how the manual doesn't say *WHAT* is sent to the speakers, just
that something is sent to the speakers.  Quality Documentation,
Tastefully Presented.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com