password question.

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Oct 28 18:00:29 UTC 2008

Quoting Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com>:

> Aldo Foot wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:
>>> Under F9, I want to create an account such that the user will be
>>> required to
>>> change the password on login, but I don't have control over how soon (or
>>> late) the user will get to that first login. Is there a way to do it? The
>>> passwd command didn't look like it had anything useful.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> as root at the CLI:
>>      # chage -d 01/01/1970 <someUser>
>> The user will be prompted to change his password next login.
>
> Yeah, that works too.  Rats!  Why couldn't I remember that one!  Yet
> another senior moment at work!

   hmmm ... i interpreted the OP's question as asking how to force a new
user to set a password on first login, but *also* to put a time limit
on how long that person had to log in before the account was locked.

   as in, if a new user is too lazy to log in to a new account, then
after a week of complete non-use, it locks automatically.  as long
as the user gets to it before then, they have to set a new password,
after which they're good to go.

   was this addressed?

rday