password question.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Oct 28 18:30:46 UTC 2008

On Tuesday, Oct 28th 2008 at 14:00 -0000, quoth Robert P. J. Day:

=>Quoting Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com>:
=>
=>> Aldo Foot wrote:
=>> > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net>
=>> > wrote:
=>> > > Under F9, I want to create an account such that the user will be
=>> > > required to
=>> > > change the password on login, but I don't have control over how soon (or
=>> > > late) the user will get to that first login. Is there a way to do it?
=>> > > The
=>> > > passwd command didn't look like it had anything useful.
=>> > >
=>> > > TIA
=>> > >
=>> >
=>> > as root at the CLI:
=>> >     # chage -d 01/01/1970 <someUser>
=>> > The user will be prompted to change his password next login.
=>>
=>> Yeah, that works too.  Rats!  Why couldn't I remember that one!  Yet
=>> another senior moment at work!
=>
=> hmmm ... i interpreted the OP's question as asking how to force a new
=>user to set a password on first login, but *also* to put a time limit
=>on how long that person had to log in before the account was locked.
=>
=> as in, if a new user is too lazy to log in to a new account, then
=>after a week of complete non-use, it locks automatically.  as long
=>as the user gets to it before then, they have to set a new password,
=>after which they're good to go.
=>
=> was this addressed?

Thanks Robert, Actually, I'm shooting for something different.

The passwords on this machine never expire and that's the way I want it.
What I want to add is for all of the *new* accounts to cause a forced
reset of the password at first login, no matter how long it takes for them
to get to logging in. Everyone's initial password is (something like)
ChangeMeOnLogin and I just don't want those to persist.

steveo at syslang.net