kvm display issue

Paul Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 15 05:13:45 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Paul Newell wrote:
>
>> Fedora-list at redhat.com:
>>
>> Now that I have one machine up and running on F9, I am beginning to
>> test connectivity with the rest of my LAN. While doing such, I noticed
>> an odd behavior that I did not notice in FC5.
>>
>> I have three Linux boxes (one F9, two FC5) connected via a Linksys
>> WRT54GL with KVM (Belkin) display/input control and working before the
>> F9 conversion of one machine (that's a separate problem). What I am
>> seeing is that if I reboot the F9 system and have the KVM set to as
>> different system, the F9 machine comes up in a screwy display mode (I
>> liken it to thinking it is displaying on the oldest display settings
>> it can find).
>>
>> I thought (and this may be a fallacy) that when a system rebooted it
>> used the last setting if it couldn't detect new or any hardware (my
>> assumption is that the F9 system is going "hey, there's no display").
>>
>> Do I need to visit my xorg.conf and do some "force magic" so that it
>> will do such under F9?
>>
>> I did a search of FedoraForum and found
>> "http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=184284&highlight=kvm+xorg.conf",
>> but I have to admit I really don't understand it. It seems to me it is
>> suggesting that I need to push the info into X startup and somehow
>> that seems wrong as I would think the xorg.conf should be able to
>> dictate action. But maybe the comment about "X startup" is one and the
>> same and I am just not getting it.
>>
>> Appreciate any help
>> Paul
>>

> Since you can't tell you have a "screwy" display until you switch the
> KVM to show it...it is really rather simple to do a "ctrl-alt-bksp" and
> tell X to restart.
>
> When you have a kvm attached to your systems it does send some signals
> to the systems not selected.
>
> Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't research and find a sw way around
> it....it just means that I've decided that the energy needed to do
> "ctrl-alt-bksp" is considerably less than finding a solution.  :-)

Ed:

Did a bit of scanning on Google about "ctrl-alt-bksp" but can't honestly
say that I got much out of it since it was wrapped under threads
involving more serious failure issues. Let me give this a try the next
time I sit down with the Linux box as, though I agree that a "better
solution" is in order, I will quite happy for the near-term to just have
a way to kick the puppy into being correct.

Many thanks for the suggestion,
Paul