Flash drive name change -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Dec 26 19:37:30 UTC 2009

On 26/12/09 12:49, g wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I refuse to believe there's no way to do this from my Linux system.
>>
> $ locate label|grep bin/
> /sbin/dosfslabel
> /sbin/e2label
> /usr/bin/mlabel
> /usr/bin/ppmlabel
> $
>
> run "man dosfslabel" and "man mlabel" for usage.
>
> hth.

dosfslabel seems to assign a label all right but it still does not change the "name." Well it did assign a label, now I've broken something?

    [root at box6 bobg]# dosfslabel /dev/sdc1
    There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    Differences: (offset:original/backup)
       3:00/4d, 82:00/46, 510:00/55, 511:00/aa
       Not automatically fixing this.
    NO NAME

My daughter changed one on her Mac without much effort. I did not see what she did. She changed it to FD3, thought she told it "fd3" but ... I have been trying to change it to lower case "fd3."

I have not been able to change it no matter what I tried. And gparted tells me I've messed something up with it! After messing with gparted for a bit it tells me Partition and File System are "unallocated" whatever that means, but it sounds bad!

None of this is a serious problem, I guess I can reformat it ext2 and might eventually do that anyway. Just thought I should be able to do anything she can do with the Mac.

Bob