Where is 2.6.32?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Dec 31 17:10:25 UTC 2009

john wendel wrote:
> On 12/30/2009 06:08 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>>> How come Fedora is still on 2.6.31? Is .32 held back on purpose or are
>>> there issues merging it?
>>> It took less than a week for .31.9 to be pushed through... but I don't
>>> see .32 in updates-testing and it's been almost a whole month...
>>>
>> My personal experience with building 2.6.32.recent is that if they
>> enhance the video drivers any more we will be running text only. Let the
>> developers have the holiday off, and hopefully they will have run 2.6.32
>> on their laptops and be motivated to work on it.
>>
>> A new year is coming.
>>

> F11 with kernel.org 2.6.32.2 + Nvidia driver working fine here. You
> really should learn to build a kernel from sources, once you get the
> config file done, the rest is easy.

And leaves you with no Fedora patches and the disk performance regression issues
of 2.6.32. Also a tainted kernel which some developers will ignore if you get a
trace, etc. And the last time I looked there was no ATI patch for 2.6.32.2
unless I missed it.

Building from source means it will compile, not that it will work.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>