Audio problem

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 22:44:01 UTC 2009

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2009 22:08, JD wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>> I am running FC7, kernel 2.6.23.17-88.
>> It has been fine for more than 2 years.
>> Yesterday, the audio stopped working.
>> I thought it was the HW.
>> I booted into WinXP and tested the audio,
>> Audio was fine.
>>
>> How do I debug this problem to find out the cause?
>>

> Well Fedora core 7 is old, but I'm posting from Fedora core 2, so as far as
> I'm concerned, if it is still working, and your happy with it, keep using it.
>
> Back to your sounds. Can you post the output from the following commands,
> which will show if the soundcard is being detected, and if the necessary
> modules are being loaded,
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
>
> It's worth also opening alsamixer in Gnomes terminal, or KDE's Konsole, if
> you're using KDE like me, and see if all the necessary sliders are still up
> (Master, Front, PCM, CD), and that none of these controls are muted (The M
> key toggles the mute/unmute).
>
> Have you plugged a new audio related device into the USB (webcam, usb midi
> keyboard, etc). The usb starts early in the boot process, and alsa can detect
> these devices as soundcards, and set them as card0, thus stopping your actual
> soundcard using the card0 slot, resulting in no sounds.
>
> Just a few thoughts for a start.
>
> Nigel.

OK, here is the output, but it looks same as I have
always seen it:
# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [SI7012         ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
                      SiS SI7012 with ALC655 at irq 18
 1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - SiS SI7013 Modem
                      SiS SI7013 Modem at irq 18
# /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
snd_intel8x0m          23377  0
snd_seq_dummy          11461  0
snd_intel8x0           39657  4
snd_ac97_codec        116633  2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus               10817  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_oss            37185  0
snd_seq_midi_event     14913  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                56673  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device         15061  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            47553  0
snd_mixer_oss          22721  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                80585  5
snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              27721  3 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    59753  16
snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              14945  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         16337  3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

The only NEW item I have plugged in over 2 weeks ago has been
a BLUETOOTH stick for my bluetooth mouse. But that did not disable
the sound. The sound went away about 2 days ago. So, That leaves
me puzzling over why I lost the audio.