Evolution versus Kmail. Was: First thoughts on KDE4.2...

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 19:04:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 12:40 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 12:20 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >>  It may be interesting to hear why you heathens choose Evolution over
> >> KMail
> >
> > I'm under the impression that the filtering and spam handling is better
> > in Evolution.   Am I wrong ?
>
> No idea, I was kinda hoping that you guys had some reasons which could
> lead to RFEs.
>
> > I have 7 email accounts for various purposes that get filtered into 45
> > different mailboxes.
>
> Interesting
>
> > And Evolution does a good job of managing my contacts.
> >
> > Is Kmail better than this ?
>
> Its kinda hard to say. Seems like you tried Evo first and it was god
> enough so you stuck with it.
>
> Was wondering if there were simply several flaws you found in KMail
> and so use Evo

That's my situation. I actually started using Kmail years ago, then
tried Evo and haven't gone back. From time to time I try the new
releases of Kmail to see what's changed. I always go back. One reason is
simply familiarity of course, but another important reason is that my
experience of IMAP under Kmail has been less than encouraging,
particularly the performance with very large folders. For example the
folder I use for this list, which I access on Gmail via IMAP from Evo
has nearly 37,000 messages in it (since I joined the list) because I
don't delete any. Evo seems to search the entire folder about as fast as
Gmail does, and supports more complex queries.

Evo is not without it's problems too, but I know them better :-) In fact
I've found the current version (2.24.3) to be very stable and fast,
after I complained about some stuff and found a workaround. (Note that I
don't use Exchange. People who use Exchange don't have much of a choice
as Kmail doesn't support it.)

In summary, I'm always open to try new stuff, but the barrier to
switching something as fundamental as one's MUA is pretty high.

poc