KDE Update on x86_64 creates dependency hell...

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 14 20:35:08 UTC 2009

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> The KDE update on 64-bit F10 seems to have included dependencies that
> trigger dependency requirements for i386 packages. This then results in
> additional i386 packages that conflict with their x86_64 counterparts.
> This then, in turn, creates a dependency hell where duplicate packages
> cannot be installed.

This is usually an indicator of conflicting dependencies. Yum (and I've seen
apt-rpm do it too) will try to solve dependencies on 2 conflicting versions
of foo by using one version as foo.x86_64 and one as foo.i386, which won't
work because if you install both, they must be the same version or you'll
get file conflicts.

Apparently, the proposed solution to this problem is to use the new %{__isa}
RPM macro in packaging, but a lot of packages need to change to use it.
Making the solvers smarter (foo.x86_64 and foo.i386 must be the same
version if both are installed) might be a better idea to get this fixed
quickly.

        Kevin Kofler