mount question

Fennix cn.stefan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:14:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 16:23 +0000, Steve wrote:
> > If I let HAL & friends automagically mount my Windows partition mount
> reports this:
> >
> > # mount
> > /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type fuseblk
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
> >
> > The problem is that I want this partition mounted on /mnt/c_drive not
> > /media/disk so I tried to add a line to /etc/fstab as follows:
> >
> > /dev/sdb1    /mnt/c_drive       fuse
>  rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096
> > 0 0
> >
> > (I started with a type of fuseblk instead of fuse but that didn't work at
> all
> > and note that fuse is not documented in the mount man page)
> >
> > but then as root
> > # mount /dev/sdb1
> > /bin/sh: /dev/sdb1: Permission denied
> >
> > # ls -l /dev/sdb1
> > brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 17 2009-01-12 13:24 /dev/sdb1
> >
> > It's not a selinux problem because I'm running in permissive mode:
> > # sestatus
> > SELinux status:                 enabled
> > SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
> > Current mode:                   permissive
> > Mode from config file:          permissive
> > Policy version:                 23
> > Policy from config file:        targeted
> >
> > This is on an F8 system and I'm trying to get my backup to work so I can
> upgrade
> > to F9.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong here?
> ----
> perhaps you are just trying to use too much muscle
>
> why not just let it mount like it does and use a bind mount elsewhere...
>
> mount --bind /media/disk /mnt/c_drive
>
> Craig
>
> --

Hi Steve,
I think that this issue has been discussed in prior releases of
 Fedora....you can scan the archives for more detailed information.  If my
memory serves me correctly, I think that the initial part of fstab for
static devices is preserved and you should put your entries there.  The
non-static devices are added/appended to the end of fstab and upon reboot
and any entries added to that portion will be "flushed."
When mounting windows partitions in prior installs of Fedora I would put
them immediately after the "logvol" entries and thereafter had no problems.
 This should work for you with FC8.  I hope that this is of some assistance
to you.  Regarding fuse partitions I am sorry that I have no experience to
offer to you in this area.
Fennix