How to update from rpm 4.4 to rpm 5.0

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jan 20 04:44:18 UTC 2009

JD wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
> Please look at my reply to Kevin Fenzi re; where I got these RPMS:
> in short, from
> ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/dries.studentenweb.org/apt/fedora.risky/fc7/x86_64/RPMS.dries/
>
> That will answer your questions :)

No, but it does pose more questions!  B^)

Dries used to run a Fedora software repository.  Most of his packages
were sucked up into RPMFusion.  It wouldn't surprise me if all were not.
In order to be useful, if Dries is providing the RPMs for RPM 5.0, then
you should be able to find all the necessary dependencies in the SAME
REPOSITORY.  Downloading just the RPM is the WRONG thing to do.  Look
into using yum and configuring the dries repository correctly.

In this case, look for the real Dries repository.  F7 is no longer
supported.  Only a few sites have all of their packages and updates
intact and available.  You'd have to find all of the dependencies by
yourself (through pbone.net) if you insist on going this route, and
there is no guarantee you are going to find all of them!

My suggestion:  Find RPMs you need in a current 3rd party Fedora
Software repository, determine what release it is (F8?  F9?  F10???) and
upgrade to that Fedora release before playing with RPM 5.0.

> Yeah, I know it's "risky" business, updating from such repos.
> But as I indicated to my reply to Kevin Fenzi, I a trying to solve
> an rpmbuild problem.

I agree with others here.  You are going way too far out of your way to
try something that is not necessarily guaranteed to work, yes?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net