bonobo, desktop session, dbus error

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Tue Jul 7 21:52:28 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Mike Wright wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Back again and need your help.
>>
>> Using f10.
>>
>> I have the following error in /var/log/messages...
>>
>> bonobo-activation-server (mike-3948): could not associate with desktop
>> session: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-xc6twP0KeN: Connection
>> refused
>>
>> ...and indeed there are no "dbus-*" entries in /tmp.
>>
>> I have tried logout/login and reboot (retch; so m$)
>>
>> Does anybody know what creates this "dbus" socket?
>>
>> There are no references to bonobo or dbus in init.d.  Where are these
>> mysterious services invoked?  From where and how are they controlled?
>>

>> Thanks for any insight,
>>
>> bloody idiot or bleeding on the edge, not sure which or both ;)
>
> The dbus stuff is part of the "messagebus" service.  You should, as
> root, "service messagebus start" to get it running.  To ensure it starts
> at the next boot, "chkconfig messagebus on".
>
> It's odd that it's not running.  You should check /var/log/messages to
> see if there's something funny in there that caused it to crash.

Hi Rick,

Many thanks.  Once again you have ridden to my rescue.

One of the first things I do after installing a system is go through
"chkconfig --list | grep :on" and turn everything off that seems
mysterious or ludicrous (eg: do I really need bluetooth or isdn?).

Seems I was a little too ambitious this time.

:m)