bonobo, desktop session, dbus error

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Jul 7 22:03:23 UTC 2009

Mike Wright wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Mike Wright wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Back again and need your help.
>>>
>>> Using f10.
>>>
>>> I have the following error in /var/log/messages...
>>>
>>> bonobo-activation-server (mike-3948): could not associate with
>>> desktop session: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-xc6twP0KeN:
>>> Connection refused
>>>
>>> ...and indeed there are no "dbus-*" entries in /tmp.
>>>
>>> I have tried logout/login and reboot (retch; so m$)
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what creates this "dbus" socket?
>>>
>>> There are no references to bonobo or dbus in init.d.  Where are these
>>> mysterious services invoked?  From where and how are they controlled?
>>>

>>> Thanks for any insight,
>>>
>>> bloody idiot or bleeding on the edge, not sure which or both ;)
>>
>> The dbus stuff is part of the "messagebus" service.  You should, as
>> root, "service messagebus start" to get it running.  To ensure it starts
>> at the next boot, "chkconfig messagebus on".
>>
>> It's odd that it's not running.  You should check /var/log/messages to
>> see if there's something funny in there that caused it to crash.
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> Many thanks.  Once again you have ridden to my rescue.

Yeah, my white charger is getting a bit winded.  :-)

> One of the first things I do after installing a system is go through
> "chkconfig --list | grep :on" and turn everything off that seems
> mysterious or ludicrous (eg: do I really need bluetooth or isdn?).

Not a bad rule of thumb.  I also do something similar, but those
"mysterious" things I usually investigate a bit further.

> Seems I was a little too ambitious this time.

Your punishment for this infraction is fifteen hundred lashes with a
limp linguine noodle.  Let this be a lesson to you!  :-)
-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -