F11 installation w/o journaling fs

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 17:03:39 UTC 2009

I'm trying to install F11 on a first generation eeepc. The usual
way (live-cd via a pendrive) doesn't work now unless the root fs
is ext4. I'd like to avoid a journaling fs, because this thing
has an ssd (and a fairly small one at that). Is a network install
my only option?  Or can I switch off journaling in ext4
completely, so it becomes as ssd-friendly as ext2 is? A quick
googling tells me that even mounting an ext4 fs with
data=writeback mode, it does metadata journaling. I don't know
how much stress (and space) that is on an ssd.

Andras