[Fwd: Re: nvidia problem]

Gary Waters ganana at videotron.ca
Sat Jul 4 13:07:43 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: nvidia problem
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 09:03:44 -0400
From: Gary Waters <ganana at videotron.ca>
To: François Patte <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr>
<4A4F4EB8.1040000 at mi.parisdescartes.fr>

François Patte wrote:

No, I don't have the kmod driver installed. I also remember reading
somewhere that having both the kmod and proprietary nvidia driver
installed simultaneously could cause problems.

When I use "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run --uninstall" from
command line and remove the nvidia driver, X-windows does not start at
all until I re-install the nvidia driver again, which I did to see if
this would resolve the issue.

What would be the safest method to uninstall the nvidia driver and
switch to kmod? Use yum to install kmod, and then init 3 to command line
and remove the proprietary nvidia driver?

Gary

*sigh*...I keep forgetting that sometimes clicking on reply sends it the
the respondent and not directly to the list....here's the forward...