Re: cups configuration

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 09:28 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> It looks to me that more changes would be needed. At least I conclude
> that from the folllowing section of the cupsd.conf file:
>  # All administration operations require an administrator to
> authenticate...
>   <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer
> CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default
> CUPS-Get-Devices>
>     AuthType Default
>     Require user @SYSTEM
>     Order deny,allow
>   </Limit>

I should have been more specific. (Not enough coffee.) Near the
beginning of the cupsd.conf file there is a section:

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup sys root

If you change it to:
SystemGroup sys root aaron

then aarom is authorized when you have "Require user @SYSTEM". But
if you do not want to give the user blanked permission, you can
change "Require user @SYSTEM" to "Require user @SYSTEM aaron" just
for that section.

But even if the user has no permissions to change things, they can
change their own default printer - they just can not change the
system default printer.

Mikkel