Re: F12 networkmanager, anyone else worried by this?

On 07/22/2009 03:22 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> I've just noticed F12 is moving towards NetworkManager for system-wide
> connections.
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManagerSystemConnections
>
> In principle it's a good thing, but with Fedora 11 I'm still having NM
> problems on two completely different wireless chipsets (rt2500 and
> iwl3945) which still refuse to do DHCP, which has been an intermittent
> problem since I first started trying to use NM (say around Fedora 8).
> It is always blamed on bugs in the drivers, which may be the case, but
> NM has always seemed less tolerant of these kinds of problems than the
> old system-config-network approach.  Particularly since both cards
> work properly once static IP has been set up.

Yes, it is less tolerant because it uses more features and therefore
exposes more glitches. The wireless drivers have increasingly reached a
better quality thanks to that.

http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/

> Is anyone able to reassure me that NM will finally work this time?

The best way is to run Rawhide for testing, provide feedback and
reassure yourself.

Rahul