OT: Can Reformatting A Hard Drive To ext3 Destroy All the Data On It?

Henrik Schmiediche henrik at stat.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 10 19:57:26 UTC 2009

Check out:

http://www.dban.org

-          Henrik

From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Fernando Cassia
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:51 PM
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora.
Subject: Re: OT: Can Reformatting A Hard Drive To ext3 Destroy All the Data
On It?

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Robert L Cochran wrote:

I have a hard drive that I need to destroy the data on. What is the most
dependable way to do this? Can reformatting the drive as ext3 or ext4 or
some other filesystem effectively destroy the existing data?

Is there free software that can write zeroes or some form of nonsense to
every storage location?

I haven´t done this task from Linux, but if you´ve got access to a windows
computer (or VM)  and you can install the drive into an external USB
enclosure, use this GPL program
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/

FC