OpenJDK / IcedTea is ###p

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 20:00:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>wrote:

> Major Péter wrote:
> > And why am I using Sun JDK? Because it's waaaay faster, then the
> > OpenJDK
>
> Huh? Are you sure? OpenJDK uses the same HotSpot VM the Sun JDK uses!

I´m confused on this issue because "project harmony" included some "clean
room" code from Intel, and intel people was pushing for the FOSS Java to
include their code.

Plus there was GNU Classpath, which was compatible with some older JVM 1.4
spec.

Frankly, a mess. In my view now that Sun has GPL´ed their code, it´s silly
to continue with legacy compatible code that just adds noise and potential
compatibility problems.

How frequently does Sun add JRE code and bug fixes "upstream" to the OpenJDK
project is the key question, IMHO...

I have read that "most of" the JavaFX code, for instance, is released under
the GPL, but I´m sure there´s stuff in there (like the hooks to On2´s MPEG4
video codec) that are encumbered with patent issues....

FC