Warning against preupgrade

David dgboles at comcast.net
Thu Jun 25 23:37:20 UTC 2009

On 6/25/2009 6:11 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Alan Cox writes:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 04:07:07 -0700
>> Kevin Bowling <kevinb at analograils.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 2 out of 5 failures.  F10->F11 is completely unusable for any kind of
>>> "uncommon" setup, i.e. LDAP login, Linux RAID, Xen DomU.  Anything
>>> other than one IDE hard disk with default layout really.
>>
>> 2 out of 5 ? - I got 3 out of 4 fails including hitting error paths that
>> clearly were not tested because the error printing code didn't work but
>> spewed python traces - and yes its in bugzilla already.
>
> By the time I'm done, I expect 5 for 5 failures (so far, I'm 2 out of
> 2). Starting with F9, Anaconda reliably failed to install grub for me,
> on every one of my machines, despite that they're all different. Some
> have one IDE hard drive, others use softraid on top of a pair of SCSI
> drives. Some are i386, others x86_64. There is no common denominator
> that I can see.
>
> So far, now with F11, on the first two machines, Anaconda keeps failing
> to install Grub, so I have to do it. I have no reason to believe that
> the remaining three won't be any different.

Say this again please? "By the time I'm done, I expect 5 for 5
failures". Are you crazy. "By the time I'm done, I expect 5 for 5
failures". The odds sux!

How many failures would expect from clean, fresh installs?

Would a "clean, fresh install" and then have to reconfigure
'something/any/many things, be a disaster? As opposed to an "By the time
I'm done, I expect 5 for 5 failures" upgrade followed by a "clean, fresh
install?", as opposed to a fresh install to begin with first, and a
re-configure after?

--

  David