Files corrupt on copy

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Jun 27 13:14:39 UTC 2009

> > Try booting with mem=4G as a first experiment.
>
> Still got the problem.  I had already tried physically removing 4Gb,

I assume you've also tried using just the other 4GB stick already

> [trantor] /proc $cat cmdline
> ro root=/dev/VelociRaptor/F10root mem=4G
>

> Failed on the 4th attempt ...
>
> $cp file1.zip new_file.zip  ; cmp file1.zip new_file.zip
> $cp file1.zip new_file.zip  ; cmp file1.zip new_file.zip
> $cp file1.zip new_file.zip  ; cmp file1.zip new_file.zip
> $cp file1.zip new_file.zip  ; cmp file1.zip new_file.zip
> file1.zip new_file.zip differ: byte 135644629, line 513910

Does feel like hardware or a BIOS setup failure of some sort
- is the IDE/AHCI controller on the mainboard or a plug in card ?
- Have you checked the box for BIOS updates and also tried resetting to
  the BIOS safe defaults and retesting ?