Logging from remote sources

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 3 00:45:02 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> This, after removing the appropriate # comments, and restarting rsyslog seems
> to have worked, however the messages are being intermixed with this machines
> messages.  They are marked as coming from the 'router', I presume by a
> gethostbynumber call someplace.
>
> This gives a nice trigger if I can figure out how to use it:

I think it's something like:

:hostname, isequal, "router"
*.*             /var/log/DD_WRT_router.log

It may be exactly that, but I haven't tested so I won't say that.

See
http://www.rsyslog.com/index.php?module=Static_Docs&func=view&f=/rsyslog_conf.html,
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-rsyslog_conf_filter.html,
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-property_replacer.html,
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-rsyslog_conf_actions.html, and
http://wiki.rsyslog.com/index.php/LighttpdVhostErrorlogs

> I would like to put those in their own log.  Is that possible?

Yes.

>> which appears to be what you have to uncomment to receive messages.
>> Do you want to receive TCP or UDP?
>
> Not sure, so I enabled both. :)

That will slow it down, and rsyslog is speed-critical (to ensure you
don't miss any logs).

>> Try to understand if data is coming to your machine with
>>
>> tcpdump -i eth0 -n -n
>
> That was very informative, the major portion of the net traffic here is
> being generated by arp, scanning the local subnet asking whohas, getting
> to .254 and resuming at 1.  That was so noisy if I saw anything from the
> router it scrolled offscreen so fast I couldn't read it.

Try:

tcpdump -i eth0 -n -n | grep "\.514"

Or you could grep based on your router's IP.

> That could be
> turned off because I use host files here for the majority of my stuff.

That's not right.  ARP resolves IPs to MAC addresses.  It doesn't matter
if you never transmit hostnames across the network.

> AFAIKT from the services config there is no arp daemon running.

Oh, ARP is running.

Matt Flaschen