Application Server Software For Fedora 10/11/CentOS

RS ravi2boxster at gmail.com
Fri May 29 16:36:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 22:35 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I'm interested in setting up a Fedora system as an application server so
> that it works like/has features similar to IBM's WebSphere Application
> Server. I can't afford IBM's licensing costs. Is there an open source
> application server that works more or less the same and will run on
> either Fedora 10 or 11 or CentOS?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob Cochran

Depends on the features you need from the app server. IBM ships a
boatload of "enterprise" features with the websphere stack. If you need
EJB, Messaging, web services, JSF and other Java EE 5 features your
options are:

* JBoss
* Glassfish
* Apache Geronimo
* JoNAS

All of the above are FOSS one way or the other

For lighter JSP/Servlet/Spring type apps:

* Tomcat
* Jetty

HTH,
Ravi