How to disable the NIC, then the connection is normal ?

Edward S.P. Leung edwardspl at ita.org.mo
Fri Sep 18 17:49:16 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Edward S.P. Leung wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Mine is Fedora Core 6 :
>> eth0 ( Internet )
>> eth1 ( Intranet )
>>
>> Now, due to the envoriment problem, the eth1 need to be disable at
>> this moment, so I try to do the following config
>> [root at host1 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>> # Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
>> DEVICE=eth1
>> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
>> # HWADDR=00:17:31:7E:F8:34
>> IPADDR=192.168.1.254
>> # IPV6ADDR=
>> # IPV6PREFIX=
>> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
>> # ONBOOT=yes
>> ONBOOT=no
>> [root at host1 ~]$
>>
>> After reboot the network function, the server machine can't to
>> connect with Internet again :
>> [root at host1 ~]$ ping -c 3 202.175.xxx.xxx
>> PING 202.175.xxx.xxx (202.175.xxx.xxx) 56(84) bytes of data.
>>  From 202.175.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
>>  From 202.175.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
>>  From 202.175.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
>>
>> So, how must I modify the config of eth1 interface, then the
>> connection of Internet will be successful ?
>

> Uncomment the "HWADDR=" line to ensure that the configuration ties to
> the correct NIC.  It's possible that the ifcfg-eth1 setup is really
> messing with eth0 instead.
>
> Second, make sure the default gateway is set up correctly, as your
> problem sounds like it's not being set.  If your default gateway is
> on the network served by the ifcfg-eth1 file above, then it won't be
> set as you don't have a NIC on that network.  The default gateway is set
> by a "GATEWAY=" line in one of the ifcfg-eth* files or in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network file.
>
> It'd help if you could post the contents of the following files:
>
>     /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>     /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>     /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> Also the output of the commands "ifcfg eth0" and "ifcfg eth1".  You can
> obfuscate the actual network addresses if you wish or send the stuff to
> me off-list and I can try to help you directly.
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks at nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
> -    When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.     -

Hello,

[root at host1 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
DEVICE=eth0
BROADCAST=202.175.xxx.xxx
# HWADDR=00:0D:0B:A7:9A:7B
IPADDR=202.175.xxx.xxx
# IPV6ADDR=
# IPV6PREFIX=
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
NETWORK=202.175.xxx.xxx
ONBOOT=yes
[root at host1 ~]$

[root at host1 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
HOSTNAME=host1
GATEWAY=202.175.xxx.xxx
[root at host1 ~]$

So, would you mind to give me more suggestion / idea / solution ?

Thanks !