[Fedora-livecd-list] hdd installs from livecd patch - where?

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 20:25:11 UTC 2006

--- Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 13:15 -0700, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> > --- Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Doing this is an extremely bad and dangerous proposition.  There are way
> > > too many things that you can't really just "undo" from a live CD.
> >
> > Not if the livecd generation tools are designed well.  (including the
> > appropriate 'undo' information).
>
> The entire reason you do huge chunks of the changes is due to the fact
> that you have limited space with a live CD.  It's hard to include undo
> information for things you remove without including them, thus negating
> the entire point of removing them.

I was actually thinking more in terms of live-dvd's or live-blu-rays.  I agree,
there are situations where for space considerations you remove certain files,
and in such situations, said files could not be included as 'undo' information
(except perhaps as url references to be downloaded should a net connection be
available).

But again, I was not suggesting that such a theoretical installation mechanism
be a *mandatory feature of all kadischi output*.  But rather it be an
*optional* feature used by some particular livecd configurations, when
operational/design considerations warrant that it would be a useful feature.

-jdog