[Fedora-livecd-list] hdd installs from livecd patch - where?

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 15:48:01 UTC 2006

--- Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 01:26 -0700, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> > An alternative to that (and I think both alternatives have their
> > usefulness) would be something which just does GUI partitioning, and
> > then installs the livecd system itself to the harddrive (mkfs's the
> > new partition, copies the squashfs contents, undoes the changes that
> > were made specifically for the livecd environment).
>
> Doing this is an extremely bad and dangerous proposition.  There are way
> too many things that you can't really just "undo" from a live CD.  I've
> been through this before, I think even on this list...

Believe me that I realize the impact of using Microsoft to bolster my argument,
but that being said...

It appears Vista is taking my approach, and IMO it's the smartest thing they've
ever done-

Personally I can't wait until this becomes standard for the major linux
distros, with perhaps the extension of the rebootless version (i.e. just a
livedvd that boots, and can optionally be live-migrated to the hard disk, using
dm snapshot and mirror tricks, along with ext3 online resizing).

-jdog