[Fedora-livecd-list] goals/status?

Chris Negus cnegus at rucls.net
Mon Oct 23 19:59:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 15:27 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 01:26 -0500, Jasper Hartline wrote:
> > One of Kadischi's priorities are installing a system from a LiveCD.
> Sorry, but I don't think just running anaconda from a live cd
> environment consuming RPM packages shipped side-by-side with the live cd
> file system qualifies as "installable livecd". At least you can't do
> anything interesting in 700MB without requiring network access.

I have a practical issue related to this discussion. I need to produce
media within a few days after FC6 is released to distribute with the
Fedora 6 Bible. I'm allowed to have a DVD (for that I'll use the Fedora
install DVD) and a CD that I want to double as a live/install CD.

I would prefer to have something similar to the Ubuntu or Gentoo live
CDs. They have icons on the desktop that install a workable system from
the CD. (I don't think you need the network for a basic install, but I
could be wrong.)

But, in lieu of a better idea, I'll simply create a CD that (from the
boot prompt) will either boot the live CD or start an "askmethod"
install. I agree it is not an elegant solution, but I would love to hear
if there are any better ones available right now.

David, if you are close, I wouldn't my trying out whatever you have.

-- Chris Negus