[Fedora-livecd-list] goals/status?

Jasper Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 23 22:14:44 UTC 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 01:26 -0500, Jasper Hartline wrote:
>
>> One of Kadischi's priorities are installing a system from a LiveCD.
>>

> Sorry, but I don't think just running anaconda from a live cd
> environment consuming RPM packages shipped side-by-side with the live cd
> file system qualifies as "installable livecd". At least you can't do
> anything interesting in 700MB without requiring network access.
>
> For the record, I do have an "installable livecd" with pilgrim now
> though the code needs to be cleaned up, see attached for current code
> dump. It should be self-explanatory more or less. With this I'm able to
> install from the LiveCD in ca. 5-6 minutes. It works pretty nice... but
> then again, I don't have much time (nor the inclination but that's
> another matter) to hack on this (let alone time to participate on this
> list) these days but at least I was hoping someone would pick up this
> train of thought as I do believe the current Kadischi livecd
> installation is sub optimal.

In 700MB you don't have room for any RPM packages, so network would be
required.
The problem with your approach is that you do not include flexibility
with your installation method. You're simply copying the LiveCD system
to the disk.
With the Kadischi/Anaconda approach a standard Fedora Core installer
interface is
brought up.

With a DVD it is possible (I've already done it and tested it) to
include 3.2GB of RPM
packages (The whole of Fedora Core) with 1.5 or so GB left for the
LiveDVD system.

Your script doesn't seem to handle any sort of upgrade path either,
which Anaconda does.
The method I am working on simply includes a partitioner, an upgrade
path, and flexibility
in package selection in one tool, Anaconda. Plus it is the stock Fedora
Core installer mechanism.
> So.. It's a little sad we can't seem to find agreement on the simple
> definition of what a "installable livecd" is... and I still do think
> that doing work which is clearly not on par with the distributions that
> Fedora competes with... is not the path we want Fedora to be on.
> Something for Greg and co. to think about I guess.
>
> Anyway, enough flaming from me. Perfect is the enemy of the Good or
> whatever it is they say. Good luck.

We don't neccessarily have to agree.
I think what is best is that we both work on both projects
and let the user base and other members of the list decide what they like.

You don't have much mind for flexibility and it is proven by the fact that
you think only one project should be worked on, Greg or mether I do not
remember which
has already stated this isn't just the Kadischi Fedora Core LiveCD list.

Also I disagree to the fullest that an Anaconda to system from LiveCD
install is on par
with other distribution's progess also. Fedora Core is knows to be a
full, robust operating system
not a drop on a dime oh just include this and this with no choice
distribution, lke DSL or Puppy Linux.
Those are minimal systems, and from a fully features robust system like
Fedora Core, I would expect
nothing less than package selection choices and partitioner, with viable
upgrade path from the distribution's
LiveCD project. Anaconda is also familiar to alot of people, so new
users getting guidance from an already
knowledgeable user, would have not to learn yet another installation
tool and method, but could use the
same method presented with Anaconda.

J. Hartline