[Fedora-livecd-list] Targetting other file systems besides iso

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 20:04:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 13:41 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 15:10 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > At OLPC we need to support ext3 and jffs2 builds even more so than
> > livecd isos.  Since most of the process is the same up until the final
> > image and bootloaders we would like to add this support into the livecd
> > tools so that all fedora projects use one toolchain.  The question is
> > how can this best be accomplished?
> >
> > I think passing a --variant switch (i.e. --variant=jffs2) should switch
> > the backend to generating the correct image.
>
> I think adding an option
>
>  --target=[livecd|
>            disk_msdos_ext3|
>            disk_msdos_ext3_separate_boot|
>            ext3|
>            jffs2]
>
> with this help text (for --help)

But when we start getting to this degree of complication, I really start
to wonder why we're reimplementing all of this stuff as opposed to
instead moving in the direction of being able to generate all of these
different things with anaconda.  While anaconda isn't entirely there
right now to be able to do this easily, if we're serious about wanting
to generically generate images of a lot of different formats, then it's
not *that* much work to get there.  Yeah, it's more code and it's more
of a learning curve to work on, but that's not necessarily a reason to
move away.