[Fedora-livecd-list] PowerPC support.

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 17:33:29 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 14:31 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> At http://git.infradead.org/?p=users/dwmw2/livecd-ppc.git
> (git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/livecd-ppc.git) there's a set of patches
> which first introduces a little abstraction for the arch-specific
> configureBootloader() and createIso() functions, then implements the PPC
> version.

Cool -- there's definitely some abstraction needed, the question is more
of where to put them.  I think what might make sense is to get a few
little things in the tree (like J5's fixes so that things work with FC6)
and then branch off what we'll use for F7 and then continue to use HEAD
so we can start doing more things like some of the refactoring from
markmc as well as getting the architecture bits cleanly separated out.

I'll try to get to making progress on that this afternoon.

> 1.  Allow mayflower path to be specified, to run from git tree

I wonder if instead of specifying a path, it makes more sense to just
notice that you're running from the git tree and use the mayflower
script from there.  The only problem is that sort of opens up to a
certain class of attack.  I'm not sure how important it really is to
care about it, though.

> 2,  Remove syslinux from package lists; add it dynamically instead.

The only problem with this is that it somewhat breaks the abstraction --
maybe some distro using livecd-tools needs the isolinux package for
those bits.  Does an error get raised with non-existent packages right
now?

> 3.  Move x86-specific functions (createIso, configureBootloader) into subclass
> 4.  Only create isolinux/ directory in x86-specific configureBootloader()
> 5.  Add PowerPC support, add pata_mpc52xx module to mayflower.conf

This sounds pretty straight-forward and reasonable.