[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi & Alternative Filesystems...

Mohammed_Khan at Dell.com Mohammed_Khan at Dell.com
Tue Jun 12 21:16:56 UTC 2007

Dan,

I have been able to get the stuff inside squashfs.img to boot as
initramfs. You need to have a good amount of ram to pull this off
though...

For example, the livced-minimal's initramfs is  ~265 MB uncompressed!
(all this has to go into ram), so you would need 512 MB or more to boot
just a minimal... I am not sure if there is a limit to how large an
initramfs can be... I would think not... I hav been able to do this w/
360 MB initramfs files.

Here are the steps to pull this off once you have an iso...

On Fedora 7, in Directory w/ livecd-xxxx.iso made by livecd-creator:

	mkdir -p i j k l	# make some mount points
	mount -o loop livecd-xxxx.iso i -o loop	# mount livecd to i
	cp i/isolinux/vmlinuz .	# extract the kernel
	mount -o loop -t squashfs i/squashfs.img j #mount the squashfs
img
	mount -o loop j/os.img k # mount the os.img
	cp -a k/* l	# copy out he os.img contents
	umount i j k
	rm -rf i j k	# cleanup
	cd l			# in os.img contents (extracted)
	ln -sf /sbin/init .	# link /sbin/init . (else you can say
init=/sbin/init as a kernel param)
	find . | cpio -o -H newc --quiet | gzip -9 > ../initrd.img
# make a cpio archive
	cd ..
	rm -rf l # cleanup

The above commands get you an initrd.img (initramfs) and a vmlinuz
(kernel) derived from a livecd that can be booted w/o need to mount a
root from cd / network etc, provided that you have enough ram to support
this.

Also, if desirable, it should be easy to add a switch to livecd-creator
to just build a kernel / (big) initramfs based livecd.

Thanks,

MFK