[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora 7 fails to boot "Cannot find root file system"

Jon Steer jsteer at bitscout.com
Mon Jun 18 18:06:09 UTC 2007

I just burned a CD and attempted to boot the F7 CD outside of the VM
environment. It hung in roughly the same place.

The VM environment that the CD was running is a Microsoft R2 VM
server.  This VM server has been running quite a few FC6-based builds
using iso's built with the old liveCD creator tools.

However, the environment that this F7 CD was built in was a stock F7
environment with qemu running.

Should the build environment affect the CD? I thought all of the
system would be downloaded and cached so build system based issues
wouldn't come into play?

thanks,
jon

On 6/18/07, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 23:24 -0400, Jon Steer wrote:
> > I have built an FC 7 LiveCD on a FC7 system with a kickstart file that
> > was modified from the original. Upon booting, I get a large amount of
> > Ata2.00 exceptions and an error message that it cannot find the root
> > file system. Afterwards, I get a message about creating a symlink for
> > /dev/root.
>
> This usually means that the kernel is having problems... based on what
> you said in your later mail, are you testing here in qemu (or something
> qemu based)?  If so, is it qemu 0.9.0 or later?  If not, then there are
> bugs in qemu < 0.9.0 that prevent it from working properly with ata_piix
>
> Jeremy
>
> --

"Whereever you go, there you are"