[Fedora-livecd-list] Installing a custom rpm on a livecd

William Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 13:46:31 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> William Cohen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am working on generating a live CD for a systemtap tutorial. The
>> current livecd has all that is needed to run systemtap on the livecd. We
>> would like to include the systemtap tutorial materials on the CD, e.g.
>> examples and the slides. I was thinking of having an rpm and just
>> installing that as a part of the %post in kickstart file. Have the
>> following line in the %post of the .ks file used by the livecd-creator:
>>
>> rpm -i
>> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/stap_tutorial/stap_tutorial-0.5.13-1.noarch.rpm
>>

>> I have checked and the rpm is available and I can install it from a
>> commandline on other linux machine. Is there a simple way install a
>> local RPM onto a liveCD? Or is creating a yum repository the only way to
>> do this?
>>

> Are you getting errors? Can you ping people.redhat.com from within the
> chroot of the livecd? Can you wget the RPM?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen van Meeuwen
> -kanarip

Sorry, I should have stated the error I was getting when creating the liveCD:

error reading information on service fedora-livey: No such file or directory
error: skipping
http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/stap_tutorial/stap_tutorial-0.5.13-1.noarch.rpm
- transfer failed - Unknown or unexpected error

I don't know if the change root can ping people.redhat.com from within the
chroot of the livecd or whether the wget would work during the %post. The
resulting livecd does allow network connectivity an as a earlier work around I
just did the rpm install via URL after I booted the livecd to try out the rpm.

The kickstart file is getting the other rpms of the installation from yum repos,
so the network connection is certainly working when the other RPMs are being
installed. As a work arround I did a createrepo and verified that I could
install the custom rpm as a yum repo. See if this works as a yum repo.

-Will