[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC: Use of a kickstart config to define the live cd contents

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 21:32:41 UTC 2007

The attached (draft, we likely don't want to apply this directly) patch
moves towards using a kickstart config to define the contents of the
live CD.  What does this mean?

1) Instead of using the fedora-livecd* packages to define the packages
which are included, we can use a kickstart %packages manifest.  This
gives us group support, exclusion and a few other things

2) Move the livecd initscript into a package.  Creating and editing this
in a script was probably going to be a little fragile; it makes a lot
more sense to have this be in packages.  If you want to derive from the
stock live CD initscript and do your own things, having more than one
initscript to run on livecd startup isn't that big of a deal.

3) Allow initial system setup (was post actions in the scripts
previously) to be done via kickstart directives + general kickstart %
post

4) We temporarily lose easy inheritance.  Right now, kickstart configs
don't have it, but that should be remedied in pykickstart before Fedora7
is out.

5) Makes it pretty easy to move a system specification between being a
live CD and an installed system.  This seems pretty cool and powerful.
Also, with a little bit of work, we could get system-config-kickstart in
the game.

What do other people think?  Patch for livecd-creator attached as well a
kickstart config that specifies the contents of a default desktop
install[1].

Jeremy

[1] Well, package exclusion doesn't exactly work with the way we call
yum right now.  Next up: use the yum API instead of exec'ing yum :-)