[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: patch review and move of livecd scm

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 18:26:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 11:27 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 22:07 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Sorry for being slow in reviewing patches; most of my time past two
> > month been spent traveling and working on other features on Fedora 7.
> > Enough with bad excuses. Anyway, looks like Jeremy and Bill been kicking
> > ass writing patches so I've merged them all into master.
>
> Cool, sounds good.
>
> > Btw, Jeremy, where can I find a kickstart file?
>
> I sent one with the initial kickstart patch.  My current one doesn't
> quite fit on a CD as I try to make it have roughly the same package set
> as the default distro install does.

I tried this last night but livecd-creator fails without useful error
messages.. and cleanup don't work so I'm left with /dev/loop0 which is
mounted and I have to clean up by hand. Not to sound like a whiner
(though I probably am) but please fix look into this and make sure that
HEAD don't contain such errors in the future. HEAD should always be
working.

(FWIW, I think this is because yum is throwing exceptions left and right
when adding groups and packages.)

> Yep, we definitely should.  I'll try to get some of the README bits and
> the like updated over the next day or so.

Sounds good thanks.

> > Will we have separate kickstart files per arch? I presume we want the
> > package selection to differ for x86_64, ppc and x86, just by virtue that
> > it's going to be larger for the former two. Can Kickstart do this
> > already?
>
> There's no real reason that the kickstart config _has_ to be
> different... size for ppc shouldn't be significantly different.

My tests some months ago showed this was the case though - around 20%
which is something we shouldn't ignore...

> On
> x86_64, doing a CD sized image is perhaps killing ourselves when we
> shouldn't given the download numbers for CD vs DVD on x86_64.  And we
> don't want to reach the point where there aren't any useful apps on the
> image.

Do we want to include 32-bit packages at all for x86_64? I don't see why
we would... what's the rationale?

Btw, you didn't answer my question though- can you do package selection
in kickstart based on what arch it is?

     David