[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: patch review and move of livecd scm

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 01:42:50 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 17:16:50 David Zeuthen wrote:
> (Btw, why do we include 32-bit packages nowadays for regular installs in
> the first place? I never was able to figure that out, except for the
> fact that OO.o was 32-bit only. As that is no longer the case perhaps
> that decision needs to be revisited too.)

I've heard it was for convenience of those wanting to run 32bit 3rd party
binaries, and for those that want to do cross-arch development.  However with
things like mock that becomes less of a use case.  It is a _little_ odd to
exclude i386 packages when doing x86_64 installs, but not afterward so that
if somebody tried to install a 32bit package, yum would be able to
find/install the 32bit deps.

It gets more interesting when you consider ppc/ppc64 where when you have ppc64
hardware you only want a FEW ppc64 packages but mostly ppc32 packages
installed, so if we made something more convenient for x86_64 we'd have to do
something completely different for ppc64.  This just takes more work, and not
work that I have time to do for this release, nor do I imagine the installer
folks have time to do either.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora