[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: patch review and move of livecd scm

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 18:47:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 16:43 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 16:26 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > > Do we want to include 32-bit packages at all for x86_64? I don't see why
> > > we would... what's the rationale?
> >
> > Given that the user can install packages to the liveCD, and that they are left
> > with what is on the LiveCD once they install the system, and may want to use
> > 32bit software, we should offer some ability to take advantage of their
> > x86_64/32bit capability.
>
> I don't really get this... so you want to add 32-bit packages to a
> 64-bit live cd... just so they don't have to pull in 32-bit base
> packages (such as glibc) when installing a 32-bit app? What pieces of
> software did you have in mind?
>
> So I guess I'm suggest to just install 64-bit packages and don't bother
> pulling in any 32-bit packages until they're needed. What's wrong with
> that?

Because like it or not, people run a lot of software that's not packaged
as an RPM.  And so there's no good way for them to say "what 32bit
libraries do I maybe need here".  A huge amount of the reason why x86_64
has succeeded where, eg, ppc or ia64 haven't is *BECAUSE* of this
compatibility.  The fact that you can just use your 32bit apps without
having to think about it is a major benefit to the platform.  And that's
a message that has been very strongly and loudly communicated by
non-technical users and customers who want their software to just work.

> > > Btw, you didn't answer my question though- can you do package selection
> > > in kickstart based on what arch it is?
> >
> > I don't believe so.
>
> Perhaps that's something it needs to do. We're going to end up seeing
> size differences in ISO files for archs. For example x86 livecd may be
> 30MB smaller than ppc livecd; that space can and should be used for
> something useful such as more themes, more promotional materials or
> whatever.

When the kickstart inheritance lands, that provides an easy way of doing
this.  I still don't think that it's something that you _want_.  One of
the advantages of Linux has always been that you get a consistent
experience regardless of the architecture that you're on.  The live CD
should be the same idea here.