[Fedora-livecd-list] patch review and move of livecd scm

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 02:52:13 UTC 2007

> I don't think you're getting the point.  Without editing a config file, the
> only thing users are able to do is reproduce what we're already doing, and
> that isn't very interesting at all.  Making real changes involves editing
> config files, changing the manifest, changing the name, changing what the
> system does upon install, all things not easily done via cli arguments.  For
> that reason, I designed pungi to mostly work from config files, and only a
> few convenience things made capable via cli arguments.

You ought to at least provide a way to override the repo.

Anyway, I do think that I get the point, but I guess we just don't share
the same design philosophy about what's easy for users - probably
because livecd-creator and pungi cater to different classes of users.
They are different thins. Anyway, for the former I made it an explicit
goal that you could do these things on the command line:

 - set live CD name

 - add/remove packages

 - use different repositories so you can quickly make it pull in
   mydistro-logos (that provides: system-logos) instead of e.g.
   fedora-logos etc.

 - there will be a --shell option so you can poke around and do
   post-configuration changes. Probably a --post-script option too
   so you can run a script in the chroot post-config

 - there's a --base-on to put extra packages on an existing live cd /
   poke around via --shell / --post-script

since this is what Joe Enduser wants to do.

Also keep in mind that live cd kickstart files are going to change *a
lot* more often that spin kickstart files, mostly because we want to get
as close to 700MB of content (without spilling over!) and packages
change all the time.

Therefore, it's a lot more important that users don't have to edit some
file as he will run into merge problems the next time he attempts to
synchronize with the upstream provider of the live cd kickstart file.

Hope this clarifies.

     David