[Fedora-livecd-list] patch review and move of livecd scm

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 01:39:18 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 17:11:25 David Zeuthen wrote:
> I don't want people to edit configuration files (in fact I want the
> tools to be able to download the config file via http so it's easy to
> track the changes to the configuration) just to use a local mirror on
> their hard disk.
>
> Realistically everyone but you and perhaps myself will have to use a
> local mirror on their hard disk. And I don't think it's fair to require
> people to edit a configuration file as they will have to redo these
> changes every time they want to get the latest revision of the config
> file. Sure, for pungi maybe it won't change but for livecd it will go
> through a lot of churn as we add/remove packages to put as much useful
> stuff on ISO that is constrained by 700MB.

I don't think you're getting the point.  Without editing a config file, the
only thing users are able to do is reproduce what we're already doing, and
that isn't very interesting at all.  Making real changes involves editing
config files, changing the manifest, changing the name, changing what the
system does upon install, all things not easily done via cli arguments.  For
that reason, I designed pungi to mostly work from config files, and only a
few convenience things made capable via cli arguments.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora