[Fedora-livecd-list] F7 livecd login screen is confusing.

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 20:34:59 UTC 2007

--- David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> wrote:

> ps. : This is probably more F8 material, but it would be nice to have
> live jumbo DVD that includes all of the GNOME, KDE, XFCE whatever
> live
> CD's. Then each "flavor" would have their own user with their own
> face
> in the face browser, e.g.
>
>  [GNOME Logo]   - Fedora GNOME
>  [KDE Logo]     - Fedora KDE
>  [XFCE Logo]    - Fedora XFCE
>  [E17 Logo]     - Fedora E17
>
> and users can even fast user switch between the desktops. Of course,
> don't know how well KDE, XFCE and E17 supports f-u-s. Something to
> keep
> in mind anyway.

What I would do is gdm autologin all of those users, hiding the main
screen with a "loading..." splash screen until disk io aquiesses (so
the users first exposure to the system isn't during the worst possible
time with respect to UI interactivity responsiveness)

This would add signifigantly to boot time, however with either the
kernel swap bootfile cache thing that has been talked about, or the
multilayer unionfs idea I have yet to benchmark, I think the full
multi-autologin could complete fast enough not to be annoying.

Anyway, just a thought.  A similar usage I had been planning on for my
own personal use, was to automatically create a guest user that is
autologged in simultaneously as above, which I could then allow some
friend to use, whom I might not trust having access to my hardly
idiot/malicious-proof desktop.

-dmc/jdog