[Fedora-livecd-list] Live USB converter script

Noor noor.mubeen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 03:58:36 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> When thinking about what we want for booting a live image with a USB
> stick, I realized that realistically, we don't want to be distributing a
> "live USB" image.  Because that requires running dd and destroying
> whatever data you already happen to have on your USB stick.
>
> A better choice is to take the live CD image and copy the bits from it
> to your USB stick.  The result is the attached script.  Run it with
> arguments of the live CD iso image and the device of your USB key and it
> copies over the bits of the live CD onto your USB stick and makes it
> bootable.  Supported filesystems for your USB stick are vfat/msdos and
> ext23.
>
> What do people think?  It seems to work from some quick testing and it's
> impressive just how much faster it is going from a USB stick.
>
> Jeremy

some time back, i  had posted script for something similar. for some reason the
post  wasn't distributed to (my?) mail clients, though i can see it
off the list.
[ https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2007-March/msg00053.html ]

The main agenda of sUSBix is slightly different, but it can also do a
live CD to USB
install after partitioning. It is now at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/susbix

-  Its a zenity GUI installer and bases its rootfs etc on Fedora Live CD.
   That way user can customise the base using livecd-creator according to
   stick size/pkg needs.

- Partitions into /boot , /root, /data [and optionally swap for susbix mode]
  (yes - data has to be backed up, The stick would be exclusive for "live" USB)

- boot param by-id (USB vendor-part). so that install m/c need not be
the only one
  where  it should be used. (static usb_id in ramdisk, since i couldnt
label squash
  (?)

- Coninues to used the squahsed rootfs to retain compression;
  and intend to use /data paritition as persistant meta
data/configuration ( rc.local)
  beyond what is available frozen in read-only squashfs.

- any other user data in /data
more info under README and documentation txt.

Since i couldn't see downloadable stuff on USB front from this forum,
i started doing
on my own. Iam willing to contribute if anything is worth reuse etc.

[Nb: not sure if this mail would be delivered to list ]
--
Rgds
Noor