[Fedora-livecd-list] Refactoring livecd-creator and providing an API

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 16:52:13 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 16:40 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 03:19 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> >> * In the 'image.InstallPackages()', would it be possible to not use the
> >> yum object provided by livecd-creator itself? Given that tools built
> >> upon livecd-creator may already have a complete yum object it could be
> >> useful to hand over the yum object to this function
> >
> > The reason why this is done is because this is _explicitly_ an
> > abstraction.  The fact that it uses yum today doesn't mean that it'll
> > use yum tomorrow.  Even if we continue to use yum, it makes it so that
> > it's possible to change out the yum API (which is likely to be occurring
> > sooner or later) while not having to make changes to the interfaces of
> > livecd-tools.
> >
> > And yes, I feel very strongly that this is the only way to be able to
> > have consistency in bits built.  Otherwise, every user that makes use of
> > the functionality has to implement their own equivalent depsolving,
> > etc.
>
> OK, we'll just have to override this function then.

I know we've been around and around on this, but I really still don't
see your hang-up over having your own hand-constructed yum object rather
than making use of what's created, used, etc by the API.  And I think
that's the crux of your other comments is that you want things so that
you can have your own yum object.

> > they're temporary bits that are blown away on errors, after things are
> > done, etc.  The cachedir there's already a way to override at which
> > point, you know what it is (see the cachedir arg to mountImage())
>
> The cachedir arg gets "/yum-cache" appended, which could be used by
> Revisor but I'd rather have it not append anything (to cachedir; I
> understand why it appends to builddir) -would that be possible?

That's just done that way because it's how Colin's patch originally did
it.  I'm not at all tied to keeping the /yum-cache bit there.